When life gets crazy a simple, lunchbox ready, super delicious strawberry slice recipe is just so good. An orange infused base smothered with strawberry jam topped with coconut ticks all the boxes.
The recipe is an old school classic, but with a bit of jazzing up with orange zest and a double batch of the coconut topping it just makes the flavours pop. It’s like most old recipes; they are great ‘as is’ but with a bit of extra love it can make all the difference. Having a pile of beautiful, fresh strawberries to slice and place on the jam gives this recipe that fresh taste. They were just that little bit tart, which goes so well with the ridiculous sugar content of the jam. The crunchy, golden, airy coconut topping on the slice is my favourite part.
Rocking Strawberry Slice
Recipe type: Afternoon Tea
- 125g butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- zest of one orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup (approximately) strawberry jam
- 6-8 strawberries hulled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup additional caster sugar
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a 28cm x 18cm x 4cm slice tin.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add orange zest and vanilla.
- Mix in one egg and combine; scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure it all mixes well.
- Stir in the flour and when combined press the dough evenly into the slice tin. Generally I use my [clean obviously!] hands to spread the dough out and then even the dough with the back of a spoon.
- To make life easy when trying to spread the strawberry jam pop it in the microwave for approximately 15-20 seconds. Then spread the jam over the dough base.
- Place the sliced fresh strawberries randomly on top of the jam and then sprinkle over a bit extra orange zest.
- In a separate bowl combine the two remaining eggs and coconut to make the delicious topping. Place in fairly even clumps on top of the jam. Make sure that most of the jam is covered by the coconut mixture.
- Pop in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and your kitchen smells amazing!
- Remove from the oven and let the slice cool completely before slicing.
The slice will keep for approximately four days…but I can bet you that there is no way it will last that long! I promise this slice delivers; it’s a truly rocking strawberry slice.